Tickets & Fares
One-Ticket/Any Train! Amtrak accepts all CTrail Hartford Line tickets onboard all Amtrak’s Regional and Shuttle trains between New Haven, CT and Springfield, MA except for the Vermonter (trains 54,55, 56, 57). Passengers who present a CTrail ticket for travel on the Vermonter will be charged at the applicable Amtrak ticket rates.
Valid Amtrak Tickets for travel between New Haven and Springfield will also be accepted on CTrail Hartford Line trains.
Hartford Line Train Tickets may be purchased in several convenient ways:
- CTrail Ticket Vending Machines (TVMs) are located at each Hartford Line Station except Windsor and Windsor Locks. TVMs accept cash and credit/debit cards, and can sell tickets for Hartford Line trains, Shore Line East (SLE) trains and combined Unirail tickets for connecting New Haven Line (operated by Metro-North).
- Customers may purchase CTrail Hartford line tickets from Metro-North Ticket Vending Machines as a connecting service to/from New Haven Line trains.
- One-way tickets may be purchased on board CTrail Hartford Line trains with an additional surcharge. The surcharge is waived for seniors or customers with disabilities and also if there is no TVM available at the station. Tickets may NOT be purchased on board Amtrak trains. Get more information.
- Cash or credit/debit cards are accepted onboard CTrail Hartford Line trains.
- Only CTrail one-way tickets are sold onboard CTrail trains. No connecting tickets are sold onboard.
- One-Way Tickets - Good one trip between the origin and destination shown on the ticket
- UniRail One-Way - Combines CTrail Hartford Line rail ticket with either New Haven Line (operated by Metro-North) or Shore Line East rail ticket to easily transfer between trains.
- One-Way Discount - Available for seniors, Medicare cardholders, and persons with disabilities.
Tickets are valid for sixty (60) days.
Please purchase your return trip tickets before boarding. One-way tickets may also be purchased on board Hartford Line trains with an additional surcharge. The surcharge is waived for senior/disabled/Medicare customers or if there is no TVM is available at the station. Cash or credit/debit cards are accepted onboard. CTrail customers who purchased tickets onboard and then board a connecting train on the New Haven Line must show their receipt or they will face a surcharge when purchasing the New Haven Line ticket onboard the train.
- Ten-Trip Ticket - Provides ten rides for the price of nine.
- Ten-Trip Discount - Available for Seniors, medicare cardholders, and persons with disabilities. Provides the convenience of 10 rides in one ticket.
Ten-Trip Tickets are valid for 180 days and are non-transferrable.
- Weekly - Valid for unlimited Hartford Line train travel for 7 days (Saturday — Friday).
- UniRail Weekly - Combines Hartford Line rail service with either New Haven Line (operated by Metro-North) or Shore Line East rail service for a lower combined fare than separate weekly tickets. UniRail tickets are available at both Metro-North TVMs and CTrail TVMs (except for New Haven).
Weekly tickets are non-transferable; lost tickets can neither be refunded nor replaced.
- Monthly - unlimited CTrail Hartford Line train travel between the Origin and Destination shown for a calendar month.
- School Monthly - discounted fare for students 18 years old or younger traveling to and from primary or secondary school. Proof of age and school-issued ID required. (Not valid for college students.)
- UniRail Monthly - combines Hartford Line rail service with either New Haven Line (operated by Metro-North) or Shore Line East rail service for a lower combined fare than separate tickets. UniRail Monthly Tickets are available at Metro-North TVMs, most CTrail TVMs, as well as by mail using Metro-North’s Mail & Ride program at www.mta.info/mnr.
- UniRail School Monthly - combines Hartford Line rail service with either New Haven Line or Shore Line East rail service for a lower combined fare than separate tickets. (Not valid for college students.)
CTtransit local bus service can be added onto any Monthly ticket for only $10. CTrail monthly tickets are non-transferable; lost tickets can neither be refunded nor replaced.
Enrolled students can obtain a U-Pass from participating Connecticut universities and colleges. U-Pass can be used for travel on CTrail Hartford Line trains and all Amtrak trains operating between New Haven, CT and Springfield, MA, except the Vermonter (trains 54, 55, 56, 57). Valid student ID from participating college or university must be shown at time of pass use. U-Pass CT Conditions of Use apply.
Reduced fares (50% off One-Way Tickets) are available to the following CTrail Hartford Line customers with proper ID:
- Seniors 65 and older
- Persons with disabilities 12 years and older
Proper forms of ID include: driver's license, Medicare card, Connecticut Senior/ Disabled Reduced Fare Transit ID Card or MTA Reduced-Fare Metro-Card/People with Disabilities Identification Card.
Please Note that when purchasing tickets, Metro-North has a different Senior/Disabled Fare/Ticketing Policy and rates. Reduced fares are not valid for connecting New Haven Line AM peak trains to Grand Central Terminal or Harlem 125th Street. Customers riding those trains with reduced fare tickets will be charged the difference between the reduced fare and the onboard peak fare by Metro-North.
Personal Care Attendants (PCAs - people employed to assist individuals with disabilities) are eligible to ride the CTrail Hartford Line trains free when accompanying a customer with a disability.
CTrail Hartford Line child fare is $1 per child for up to four children ages 2-12 traveling with a paying adult. Any additional children ages 2-12 will be charged half the adult fare. Children under the age of 2 travel free.
This Child Fare Policy does not apply to Amtrak Hartford Line train options.
Please Note that when purchasing tickets, Amtrak has a different Fare/Ticketing Policy and rates for Children. See Amtrak.com for specific information.
If you're continuing your trip on a New Haven Line train (operated by Metro-North), a family fare is available for up to four children ages 5-11 may ride for $1 when traveling with a fare paying adult. Family fare is not valid on inbound New Haven Line morning peak trains. Children under 5 years of age travel free. During “Peak travel” the child fare is 50% of adult fare. Click here for more information.